Saturday, January 1, 2011

TCS Interview Experience


www.careerinfoline.com is a mentorship forum, where one can get access to professionals from various domains. You too can get benefited.

I am Mandeep Singh pursuing my B.tech in Electronics & communication, here I am going to share my first interview experience in TCS, well after clearing its written test, I have mixed feelings on the one side I was in high spirits and on the other I was tensed because I want to get through, since I already missed an opportunity to take part in Infosys placement process. TCS interview was taken in three phases one was technical, second was MR and the last one is HR. Following I have explained my confrontation with interviewers in each phase.

TECHNICAL:
My name was called and I went in the room, first I greeted him and then I was asked to have a seat.
1. First, TCS Interviewer asked me some general questions like introduce yourself, family background, about my schooling and why TCS, I answered these questions.
2. Then TCS Interviewer asked about my favorite subjects, I answered SDC and DE. Then he asked some basics of semiconductors and DE, which were easy to answer.
3. As I have done my training from BSNL, so TCS Interviewer asked me to explain that how a mobile get connected to Landline, this I tried to explain the best way I can and I think that I almost satiate him.
4. Next, TCS Interviewer came to my project and first asked me to explain its working, which I did and then he asked about my contribution in the project.
5. After that TCS Interviewer asked me about something creative that I have done in college. I told him about the play in which I took part.
6. Then TCS Interviewer asked me to tell something creative work that I have done in my technical field, well I really had nothing to proclaim about except my project so I told him the same.
7. Next I was given a puzzle to solve, the puzzle is as follows:
If  there is a circular  pond and a lily in its center fully cover the pond with its growth in 20 days, then how much time it would take to cover it half? Well, I don’t know its solution, but the answer I gave there was wrong as told by interviewer.

8. Then TCS Interviewer asked me that had I ever examined my CPU to which I nodded yes and then he told me to name all the components in it, I answered all the components which came to my mind at that time.
9. In my resume in computer languages I have mentioned C, so he asked me to write a program to print pattern as shown below:
          *
      *     *
*        *      *
I tried to solve it by loop method, but I failed to complete within the time given to me. So he stopped me and asked me to leave.
I was not sure whether I impressed him enough to pass my resume to next stage, but I was relieved when my name was in the list of students whom MR and HR were on next day.
Next day I was the first to give MR. so following is my experience of MR

MR:
First, I asked his permission to enter room and then greeted him and took seat.
  1. Again I was told to introduce myself. Previous day results of technical were with him and TCS MR Interviewer questioned about my programming skills to which I assured him that I will work on it. In giving my intro I added a line in last that I want to be a responsible citizen of my country, here he trapped me. TCS MR Interviewer asked me the name of latest movie that I’d seen and where did I watch it, in reply I said 3 idiots and I watched it in my pc, so he made me realize that how could I be a responsible citizen if I’m watching pirated movies, at that time I was numb but I accepted my mistake and assured him that I’ll do take care of this thing in future. So it is better to say only those lines in intro which you could back up and which doesn’t land you in trouble.
  2. Then TCS MR Interviewer questioned me that why should I select you, to which I told him about my strengths.
  3. After that he asked me my favorite. Subject, so this time I answered SDC.
  4. Then he asked me to tell differences b/w transistor and MOSFETS, which I answered very easily. After that he asked me to draw an MOSFET on paper which I drew to best of my knowledge.
  5. TCS MR Interviewer asked me to name any new technology which has emerged in past one year in the field of electronics & communication or computers, well I never been in touch with tech magazine so I was unable to answer this question.
  6. TCS MR Interviewer told me to name all appliances in which semiconductors are used, so I name all of them which I knew.
After this question he announced the end of my MR and asked me to leave, well this phase went well excluding few mistakes, like I also fumbled in b/w due to nervousness.
After a wait of near about 30 minutes my name was announced for HR. My HR was taken by a lady.
HR:
When I entered room she asked me to sit down. Then the round of question-answer started.
  1. TCS HR Interviewer’s first question was why TCS? To which I told her some points which I jotted down during their ppt like company growth, opportunities provided to freshers, novel work carried by company, etc.
  2. Then she asked about my strengths and weakness. Well telling your weakness you should give very witty answer. I told her that my bad handwriting and over-ambitious nature are my weakness, she was impressed with this answer.
  3. After that she asked me about my hobbies to which I told reading novels and motivational books, so she asked  about the books I read and my favorite out of all that and why, which I answered without any difficulty.
  4. In last TCS HR Interviewer explained me terms and conditions of their contract and asked whether I agree with these to which I responded in yes.
Then she asked me to leave and wish me best of luck for my future.
Well after a long interval of wait finally they announced the students who made through and fortunately I was in the lucky list.

No comments:

 
TheBestLinks